Cannabis glycerine tincture is an awesome way to use cannabis in a fast-acting, discreet way that you can put in anything carry it with you and use it as you need.
Glycerin tincture is a vegetable based sweetener which uses vegetable glycerin to infuse the active essentials and flavors from an herb. Herbal tinctures are usually made from alcohol, but vegetable glycerin is a good alternative for those who have a sensitivity to the alcohol content. Vegetable glycerites are not as effective as alcohol based tinctures but are still quite effective.
Clear and odorless vegetable glycerin is a liquid produced from plant oils, such as palm oil, soy, or coconut oil. Vegetable glycerin is sweet and not metabolized by the body like sugar. Vegetable glycerin is a great replacement for alcohol when producing herbal tinctures. When producing tinctures look to buy an organic non-GMO glycerin.
What type of cannabis glycerin tincture do you require?
Before preparing your vegetable glycerine, you need to decide is you want to decarboxylate your cannabis. Decarboxylation is the heat modification of the THCA in cannabis to the psychoactive THC state. Users will need to decide whether or not making this type of tincture will be beneficial to their condition.
In order to decarboxylate cannabis at home, you will need your cannabis material, an oven set to 220-235 degrees F or 110 celsius, parchment paper, and a baking tray. Finely grind your cannabis until the material can be spread thin over parchment and placed on your baking sheet. Allow the cannabis to bake for 60 to 90 minutes. Low heat and time is the best way to decarboxylate your marijuana. Too much high heat will cause the cannabinoids to break down your cannabis and making it less potent.
Cannabis Vegetable Glycerin Tincture Without Alcohol
- Fill a clean jar that you can seal shut with ½ ounce of cannabis buds to 2 cups of vegetable glycerine.
- Shake the container to thoroughly mix the cannabis with the glycerine.
- Line a towel around your slow cooker, set the cooker to warm and fill it halfway with water. Place you jar in the center of the cooker and heat for 24 hours.
- Every few hours gently shake your mixture make sure you are wearing protective pads to protect your hands from the hot jar. After 24 hours of warming remove your jar from the cooker give it a final shake and remove the lid.
- Once cooled strain your cannabis infused vegetable glycerin tincture, using a metal strainer and cheesecloth.
- The strained cannabis buds can be used to make edibles, cannabis tea in beverages or to infuse other tinctures.
- You can store your vegetable glycerin in a glass jar or dropper bottle to to carry with you. You can take your tincture under your tongue one or 2 drops at a time. Make sure you hold the tincture under the tongue for a minute or two before swallowing. The effects of your tincture should start kicking in after 15-45 minutes.
You can also add your tincture to coffee, tea, soup or to any type of food or beverage. The effects will take longer to start kicking in when you eat or drink something marijuana infused. Start with small dosages and give yourself enough time minimum 1 hour before adding more until you can adjust the dose accordingly to what you want your needs to be.
In a future post we will also show you how to make your marijuana tincture with alcohol.