A Holyoke marijuana cultivation facility was already under investigation when a 27-year-old worker died after inhaling ground cannabis dust on the job in January, state regulators confirmed.
The Cannabis Control Commission began investigating Trulieve’s Holyoke facility in the fall of 2021 due to employee complaints, the commission said in a statement Friday.
The commission’s investigation is active, and Trulieve has been responsive to requests for information, a spokesperson said. Boston.com has reached out to Trulieve for comment on the commission’s latest statement.
While filling pre-rolled cannabis cigarettes at the facility on Jan. 7, Lorna McMurrey said she couldn’t breathe and collapsed, later dying at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield. An Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigation determined that McMurrey died of occupational asthma.
In June, OSHA fined Trulieve a total of $35,219 for three violations of hazard communication standards. Trulieve,…