Ex-Food Alley, Yates site on Albert St in Auckland CBD stays empty, fenced: Singaporeans ponder futurePosted by MMP News AuthorOn February 6, 2024
Civic leaders are disappointed a central Auckland commercial building site linked to a wealthy Singapore family remains undeveloped more than a year after buildings were demolished.
But Peter Wall, who works for the Kum family, said plans were being made and they are actively seeking an anchor tenant to turn the site into a vibrant commercial precinct.
The old Food Alley and ex-Yates building site between Federal St, Wolfe St and Albert St in the centre of Auckland CBD stands empty, most of its buildings demolished, the block fenced with barbed wire on top to stop people getting into it.
The Kum family, which also owns Auckland’s Hilton Hotel, had Ward Demolition remove buildings on part of the Auckland central-city block but work finished 15 months ago.
A large pile of bricks is on the Albert St side. Buildings that do remain are open to the elements and covered in graffiti, giving an unsightly effect.
Auckland Council’s Deputy Mayor Desley Simpson said it was very sad the site had been left in that state for so long.
“Auckland deserves better,” Simpson said of the 4371sq m block.
Councillor Chris Darby, who commutes from the North Shore via ferry, said it was a blight on the landscape: “So much opportunity beckons with that site. It’s so disappointing to see promise not realised and a wasteland becoming permanent.