A fire broke out at a house after tenders of a cannabis farm overloaded the plug sockets to keep it illuminated.
When police arrived to the blaze they found the address was empty, but about 70 plants were seized along with growing equipment.
A dog had been left behind which had an injury to its tail and smoke inhalation, so it was taken to an animal shelter.
Fire crews and police officers were called to the blaze on Derby Street in Ormskirk on Friday, just before 1pm.
Initially, it was reported to emergency services that people were still inside the property, opposite the town’s railway station, as the flames burned.
The fire was coming from an upstairs bedroom, police said, and was later brought under control by crews.
Two upper rooms suffered fire and smoke damage, it was added.
Cannabis plants were discovered in the cellar of the house.
A spokesman for Lancashire Police said: “We were called to a fire at an address on Derby Street, Ormskirk.
“The blaze was started by overloading plug sockets to illuminate the cannabis farm inside.
“Seventy cannabis plants were seized along with a number of other items.
“Enquiries are ongoing to trace the tenant but thankfully the dog from the address was recovered with only very minor injuries.”
Cannabis factories have been regularly uncovered…